Lead Software Engineer - Big Data
Job ID: 19074
Help build a world-class, next generation big data analytics platform
Cimpress is a company on an audacious journey to build a platform connecting people, companies and products around the world, making it possible for small businesses and consumers everywhere to express themselves and their energies. You will be in the early stages of defining and bringing to life the very nerve center of this network.
The Cimba team is passionate about data. We are responsible for full data processing flows, processing raw data streaming in live from microservices around the world, applying statistical methodologies and making our data available to drive and enable decision making worldwide.
We are looking for a highly-motivated Lead Software Engineer who thinks outside the box. This engineer will be a professional with software development background who gets the entire spectrum in the big data analytics continuum, someone who is passionate about taking on complex data problems in a big data world and making sense of it through advanced data engineering and rendering techniques and tools, undertaking the full software lifecycle of design, implementation, integration and testing.
What you get to do
- Help architect, design and lead the ground-up technical implementation of Cimpress’ new Cimba platform in a collaborative fashion.
- Work directly with stakeholders to understand their requirements, assess the business impact and prioritize work accordingly.
- Work closely with other teams to understand how source system changes impact our upstream data processing.
- Rethink and influence strategy and roadmap for building scalable data solutions and scalable data warehouse environment.
- Contribute to early quality activities, including peer reviews of estimates, designs and code.
- Design, build, improve and maintain a high performance and highly scalable data pipeline to collect and process millions, potentially billions, of events per day.
- Contribute to and promote good software engineering practices across the team.
- Work with real-time data processing and streaming techniques and workflows.
Requisite Skills and Background
- Bachelor’s, Master’s or Ph.D. in computer science or related technical field.
- 5+ years of professional work experience in software engineering or related discipline with at least 3-5 years in a software engineering or analytics-focused role.
- Experience with implementing mathematical algorithms for applications such as text processing
- Strong understanding and experience using common design patterns for Java development of distributed systems
- You are experienced at taking vague requirements and crystallizing them into crisp deliverables
- You're known as a creative, innovative and outside-the-box thinker.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment, and given context, you're capable of self-direction when solving difficult problems in creative ways and making a real impact to the business.
- You have a passion for keeping up with the fast-emerging big data analytics technical landscape.
- Proven leadership skills including: mentoring, coaching, and collaboration; able to inspire or mentor junior and senior team members.
- You thrive on the mutual enthusiasm of a high performing team that is creating cool stuff.
- Advanced understanding of SQL and familiarity with classical databases (Oracle, SQL Server) a plus
- Experience with distributed software suites such as Apache Hadoop, Spark, Spark Streaming, Kafka, Storm, Zookeeper, Flume, Presto, Pig, Hive, MapReduce
- Working knowledge of Python, Java, and/or Scala
- Experience with J2EE, JDBC, RESTful web services, web application development using servlet application containers such as Apache Tomcat or Jetty
- Experience with Amazon Web Services: EC2, S3, and EMR or equivalent cloud computing approaches
- Distributed databases such as Elasticsearch or Accumulo
- Distributed file systems such as HDFS or Lustre;
- Experience with Linux, Eclipse, Maven, Log4j, JIRA
- Experience with Agile software development practices and tools.
- Experience with agile (e.g., Scrum) or lean (e.g., Kanban) methodologies and practices
- Proficiency with both SQL and NoSQL databases, various data warehousing and analytical architecture
- DBMS: Relational (SQL Server, incl. T-SQL, Scripting, etc.), columnar (AWS RedShift, Vertica), noSQL (MongoDB, Redis, Cassandra - key-value stores, graph databases)
- Experience with large-scale MPP databases: Vertica, Greenplum, Aster Data, Redshift
- Experience in delivering large scale, highly available, enterprise wide solutions
- Understanding of data flows, data architecture, ETL and processing of structured and unstructured data
Vistaprint, a Cimpress company, empowers 16 million micro businesses and consumers annually with affordable, professional print and digital solutions by leading the way in marketing, innovative technologies, custom products and manufacturing excellence.
We strive to be a world-class customer-centric company by offering a broad range of products and services via 25 easy-to-access, localized websites globally and by shipping to more than 130 countries around the world. Our customers benefit from our unique business model supported by proprietary technologies, high-volume production facilities and direct marketing expertise.
Employees of Vistaprint are passionate about understanding the needs of our customers to help them make an impression both at work and in life. We look for customer-centric people who bring ideas, visions and dreams and a passion to deliver on them regardless of department, title or tenure. If you’re a self-starter looking to make an impact, we offer highly rewarding opportunities to grow with us both personally and professionally.
Join some of the finest talent to deliver on our promise as one of the best industry-transforming – and career-transforming – companies in the world. Go to About Us to learn more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Vistaprint, a Cimpress company, is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or marital status.
Vistaprint does not accept unsolicited candidate referrals or resumes / CVs from third-party vendors, including recruitment agencies. Only resumes received from contracted agencies/vendors will be considered. Vistaprint will not be responsible or liable for any fees or costs associated with such unsolicited submissions.